Internationally Educated Applicant

The International Application route applies to any applicant who has received training at an institution outside of Canada. The requirements for registration as outlined in the Health Professions Act in Alberta state that applicants must have completed:

1) A Baccalaureate degree in foods and nutrition from an accredited Canadian University, or equivalent.

2) A dietetic internship from an accredited Canadian internship program, or equivalent.

Are you ready to apply to CDA for assessment?

Our online self-assessment tool can help you decide if you are ready to apply to the College for an eligibility assessment.

Click here to begin the Internationally Educated Applicant Self-Assessment Tool

Prior to application

Before you apply, make sure you have the necessary documentation required for application.

Things to consider:

  • Ensure that you have official copies of all academic and internship documentation from the institution(s). If you have not yet arrived in Canada, it would be beneficial to contact the appropriate institutions to request this documentation prior to your arrival. A complete list of required documentation can be found within the application form.
  • Ensure you have met the English Language Proficiency requirements for registration. Information on language proficiency can be found here.
  • Ensure all applications documents are originals or notarized copies and are in English. If documents are in a language other than English, notarized translations must be provided.
  • For your information, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has a program called Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA), which delivers pre-arrival orientation, employment and workplace culture communication support for immigrants focusing on job search, job readiness and job retention. More information on this can be found on SOPA or CCIS, the Alberta partner. Please note, this program is NOT required to apply for registration with the College.
  • For your information, Directions For Immigrants is a career service centre that offers resources and support for internationally educated professionals. More information can be found on the Dietitian/Nutritionist occupation page. Please note, this service is NOT required to apply for registration with the College.

Application and assessment process

The College will assess the qualifications of an internationally educated applicant to determine if the academic preparation and practical training are substantially equivalent to the requirements for registration obtained through accredited Canadian programs.

The assessment process includes two assessments:

  1. Document Assessment: The College will complete a review and assessment of all documentation submitted. A cross-reference of all academic and internship documentation to the Integrated Competencies for Dietetic Education and Practice will be completed to determine whether there are any gaps in dietetic knowledge. To assist in this evaluation, it is beneficial to provide as much detailed information as possible regarding your education, internship and work experience. We recommend submitting any documentation you feel is relevant to registration with the College.
  2. College Competency Assessment: This is an in-person assessment for registration conducted at the University of Alberta. The competency assessment is based on three components: a basic dietetic knowledge examination, diagnostic evaluations using the methodologies of the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) and the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI). This assessment is completed twice a year, in March and August. The assessment fee is $600 to be paid to the College once scheduled for the assessment. Please note that you are responsible for any travel, accommodation and personal expenses associated with the assessment.

Following the Registration Committee’s review of all application documentation and assessment results, the College will send a letter outlining the requirements for registration. Based on any noted deficiencies in competence or knowledge, this can range from academic upgrading, dietetic bridging or any other requirements as determined by the Registration Committee. If additional dietetic bridging education is required, course costs are your responsibility.